Thursday, March 19, 2009

All,

After returning from our TCC trip to NOLA I felt the need to stay connected to TCC. Specifically, how to help the kids at TCC. As a result, I contact Volunteer Coordinator Sandy Brown. We've had a couple of phone conversations and email exchanges to share our ideas. A summary of a call Sandy and I had earlier this week appears below. These aren't all of our ideas, just the ones that seem to have the most meaning and benefit for the TCC kids.

So far, Gina Fried and Annette Lawson (CDT Education Director) are on board to help, but we NEED MORE PEOPLE! Do you want to participate in any of these efforts? If so, email or call me (857-222-7895) and we'll talk about how to get you involved.

******summary email******

TCC has a variety of programs for different age groups:
  1. After-school program for elementary school kids K-12 years old
  2. Youth Group (8-13 years) and Teen Youth Group (13-18)
  3. Pure Hearts: girls 13-18 (ongoing) and boys 13-18 (starting up)
  4. Homework Help & 1:1 Mentoring (any age group)
  5. Summer Camp (25-30 kids, K-12 years old). This summer's camp with have a health and fitness emphasis. Their wish list is: jump ropes, exercise balls, kick balls, basketballs, soccer balls and goals, a volleyball net, tennis balls, and racquets
  6. Sleepaway Camps: Jr High camp in MS; High School in TX
  7. Crescent City Classic (road race sponsored by TCC): Youth Groups

In our conversation, we had these brainstorms:

  • Books (not as meaningful for TCC kids; not make as much impact)
  • Penpals for the after-school kids
  • Bookbags with school supplies
  • Sports equipment for the summer camp
  • Crescent City Classic on April 11 (sponsors)
As we agreed sponsoring runners for the Crescent City Classic is a great first step. Send me the sponsorship letter, info on the race, etc. I'll contact people and see what we can do to raise some funds.

Let me talk with Annette and Gina about the penpals, bookbags, and sports equipment. You and I can use email to stay in touch over the next few weeks. Then we all can talk again by phone to discuss more detailed plans.

Tim

1 comment:

  1. Tim,
    I'm sorry, I just saw this post now, and it is the end of April. It's great that you did this! Can I be of help at this point? Let me know, please.
    And...Viva la beads! --Nechama

    ReplyDelete